Individual Chapter Ideas
Chapter Meeting Ideas
- Tour the labs of local biomedical startups, companies, or incubators
- Tour local biomedical companies
- Host panel discussions featuring industry alumni and post-docs
- Host a networking social with representatives from local biomedical companies
- Give lab tours to prospective undergraduate/graduate students interested in biomaterials-related research
- Host fun social events such as bowling or “Chocolate Chats” where first-year graduate students get tips, hints, and advice over chocolate
- Guest speakers at lunchtime
- Help students with planning/executing their science fair experiments and volunteer to judge at your local science fair
- Conduct after-school STEM clubs by performing interactive science demonstrations or host a “Biomaterials Open House” for your local elementary, middle, and secondary school
- Host a Three Minute Thesis Competition
- Perform a faculty luncheon
- Organize journal clubs
- Maintain a departmental biomaterials library for student use (journal and books donated by faculty, JBMR complimentary subscription).
- Group discussion of select JBMR articles
- Group discussion of topics of interest. Some topics include:
- How to get started with research
- How to do proficient literature search
- How to create multimedia presentations
Chapter Fundraising Ideas
- "Student Work Day" - Students may be hired by faculty and staff to do various academic, research, or other related work.
- Have members work at athletic games or other university events.
- Sales of premium and fundraising products.
- Chapter makes contact with the community through philanthropy programs. For example:
- Canned food drive
- Holiday events
- Habitat for Humanity