What Types of Data We Collect and How We Use It
We collect a variety of information when you visit our Site and engage with our service.
Personal Data may include name, employer, email, employer phone, mobile phone, address, credentials/certifications, credit card information, IP addresses, membership history, areas of interest or specialty and details of products and/or services purchased and identifies you as an individual or is information that can be linked to you as an individual (“Personal Data”).
We may collect Personal Data from Users in a variety of ways, including, but not limited to, when Users visit our Site, respond to a survey, fill out a form, register for a meeting, event, or webinar, make a donation and in connection with other activities, services, features or resources we make available on our Site. Users may, however, visit our Site anonymously. We will collect Personal Data from Users only if they voluntarily submit such information to us. Users can always refuse to supply Personal Data, except that it may prevent them from engaging in certain Site related activities.
Non-personally identifiable information
We may also collect non-personally identifiable information about Users whenever they interact with our Site. Non-personally identifiable information may include the browser name, the type of computer and technical information about Users means of connection to our Site, such as the operating system and the Internet service providers utilized and other similar information.
Web browser cookies
How we use collected information
SFB may collect and use Users personal information for the following purposes:
- To provide subscribers with access to publications to which they have subscribed through their membership renewal
- To improve customer service - Information you provide helps us respond to your customer service requests and support needs more efficiently.
- To personalize user experience - We may use information in the aggregate to understand how our Users as a group use the services and resources provided on our Site.
- To improve our Site - We may use feedback you provide to improve our products and services.
- To send periodic emails - We may use the email address to respond to their inquiries, questions, and/or other requests. If User decides to opt-in to our mailing list, they will receive emails that may include news, updates, related product or service information, etc.
- To provide targeted services and content
SFB does not knowingly collect or use any Personal Data from users under 13 years of age.
How we protect your information
We adopt appropriate data collection, storage and processing practices and security measures to protect against unauthorized access, alteration, disclosure or destruction of your personal information, username, password, transaction information and data stored on our Site. Unfortunately, no transmission of Personal Data over the Internet can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. Accordingly, and despite our efforts, SFB cannot guarantee or warrant the security of any information you transmit to us, or to or from our online services. SFB has no responsibility or liability for the security of information transmitted via the Internet. If you have questions about this Policy or the security of your Personal Data, please contact us as indicated under the “Contact Us” section below.
We retain your Personal Data for as long as your account is active or as needed to provide you services, comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes and enforce our agreements.
Sharing your personal information
We do not sell, trade, or rent Users Personal Data to others.
SFB may provide personal information to third party agents that have been hired to help provide a requested good or service or to facilitate us in providing our services to you. This may include payment processors, association membership system providers, SFB newsletter or journal publishers, website analytics, member analyses, membership renewal and/or updates on member programs and services. Visitors may opt-out from the sharing of collected information by contacting us.
SFB reserves the right to disclose without notice any information in its possession if required to do so by law, to protect or defend SFB’s rights or property, or to respond to an emergency.
Third party websites
Users may find advertising or other content on our Site that link to the sites and services of our partners, suppliers, advertisers, sponsors, licensors and other third parties. We do not control the content or links that appear on these sites and are not responsible for the practices employed by websites linked to or from our Site. In addition, these sites or services, including their content and links, may be constantly changing. These sites and services may have their own privacy policies and customer service policies. Browsing and interaction on any other website, including websites which have a link to our Site, is subject to that website's own terms and policies. Links to other sites do not imply SFB’s endorsement of the products or services, or privacy or security practices of those websites.
Rights of European Residents
Under certain circumstances, you have rights under data protection laws in relation to your Personal Data.
You have the right to:
- Request access to your Personal Data. This enables you to receive a copy of your Personal Data and to verify that we are lawfully processing it.
- Request correction of your Personal Data. This enables you to have any incomplete or inaccurate data we hold about you corrected, though we may need to verify the accuracy of the new data you provide to us.
- Request erasure of your Personal Data. You may have the right to request that Personal Data we hold about you is deleted.
- Object to processing of your Personal Data. You may have the right to prevent or restrict processing of your Personal Data.
- Request restriction of processing of your Personal Data. This enables you to ask us to suspend the processing of your Personal Data in the following scenarios: (a) if you want us to establish the data’s accuracy; (b) where our use of the data is unlawful but you do not want us to erase it; (c) where you need us to hold the data even if we no longer require it as you need it to establish, exercise or defend legal claims; or (d) you have objected to our use of your data but we need to verify whether we have overriding legitimate grounds to use it.
- Request the transfer of your Personal Data. Where technically feasible, we will provide to you, or a third party you have chosen, your Personal Data in a structured, commonly used, machine-readable format.
- Withdraw your consent. However, if you withdraw your consent, we may not be able to provide certain products or services to you. We will advise you if this is the case at the time you withdraw your consent.
If you wish to exercise any of the rights set out above, please contact us.
How You Can Access and Change Information
SFB acknowledges that you have the right to access your Personal Data. In case you request us to remove data, we will respond within a reasonable timeframe.
You can log into you member profile at https://biomaterials.org/login to update your Personal Data at any time. Upon request, we will provide you with information about whether we hold any of your Personal Data. You can update or correct your Personal Data or remove it from our system by making a request to us at the contact information provided below. Requests typically receive a response within thirty (30) days. If access cannot be provided within that time frame, we will provide the requesting party with an estimated date by which the information will be provided. If for some reason access is denied, we will provide an explanation of why access has been denied.
Changes to this Policy
The Society For Biomaterials has the discretion to update this Policy at any time. When we do, we will revise the updated date at the bottom of this page. We encourage Users to frequently check this page for any changes to stay informed about how we are helping to protect the personal information we collect. You acknowledge and agree that it is your responsibility to review this Policy periodically and become aware of modifications.
Your acceptance of these terms
By using this Site, you signify your acceptance of this Policy. If you do not agree to this Policy, please do not use our Site. Your continued use of the Site following the posting of changes to this Policy will be deemed as your acceptance of those changes.
This document was last updated on January 20, 2021.